Playing with fire.

I got an old t-shirt to experiment with burning lettering (not the fire extinguisher as a precaution!)

IMG_6476IMG_6481IMG_6490

The old t-shirt I used was 100% cotton. I used a torch lighter to control the burning and avoid any injuries. Some of the fabric curled, so there would need to be an underlay of a different coloured fabric to make it stand out, perhaps even stitching around the burnt letters as shown in the sketch below.

IMG_6519

Reflection

It was actually really difficult to control the way the fabric burnt. I had to cut the letters into the t-shirt. In the end, I couldn’t get the lettering style I wanted. In my next experiment with the burning technique, I will cut the lettering out of cloth in the typeface of my choice and then singe the edges. I could also stitch around the letters to make them stand out more.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s