I explored a few different typeface that I could use in the Word and Meaning project and came up with a few options to experiment with.
Above is a preview of the font Sansita (Cosgaya, 2015). It appears to be quite a flexible font, with a few different styles to choose from. I thought the ‘feminine’ but bold look of the italic bold style would be appropriate as it would be more visible if burnt or sewn into fabric. Below is what the typeface would look like with my assigned word. The style used for these was bold italic.
The font is sans serif, and even the uppercase letters have tails and characters such as the V have a slight swash.
Absender (Polifroni, 2011) was another interesting font with a subtle femininity that I thought would look bold enough to be readable on some of the concept sketches.
This typeface only has the option of uppercase, and I was a bit skeptical about the letter spacing, but this can be adjusted. I like the bold lettering but the edges of the characters don’t appear as smooth as I would like them to be.
I thought this was a fascinating typeface created by Kim (2013). I originally wanted to write the word Proven in Arabic, but upon discussing this with the tutor, I decided against it. This typeface, however, may be a good compromise. I find the joins, and the crossbar on the A really interesting. It would be difficult to burn this typeface into fabric, but stitching it would have a better effect.
I really liked the final effect of this typeface when I experimented with the word. I thought it was interesting that the shape of the N is in lowercase style.
Cosgaya, P. (2015). Sansita. Behance.net. Retrieved 25 July 2016, from https://www.behance.net/gallery/26734373/Sansita.
Kim, K.H. (2013). Arabic Curves. Dafont.com. Retrieved 25 July 2016, from http://www.dafont.com/arabic-curves.font.
Polifroni, N. (2011). Absender. Dafont.com. Retrieved 25 July 2016, from http://www.dafont.com/absender.font .